Ignoring a leak, no matter how small, is not an option. Mold and Bacteria can begin infesting your home within 24 – 48 hours of moisture intrusion, even if water damage is not immediately noticeable. Unfortunately, this is why many Home Owners don’t realize the risks before the damage is already done. Professional Health Experts have proven beyond a doubt that damp homes can cause respiratory illnesses such as asthma, and many other health issues as well.
Why Should You Damp Proof Your Home?
- Bacterial Growth: Bacteria flourishes in moist environments, and a damp house is an ideal breeding ground for them. Woods, such as the framing in your roof, is an ideal place for bacterial colonies, as they tend to grow on organic matter. Because of that, it is one of the side effects of damp in a house that is hardest to discover.
- Pests: Water damage in a home attract a host of pest infestations, such as mice, rats and cockroaches, giving them an ideal environment to flourish. Because of the illnesses carried by these pests, such homes make high risk environments, especially for young children.
- Dust mites: If you experience sneezing, itchy eyes, stuffy nose, respiratory problems, or even asthmatic symptoms without having asthma, there is a very high probability that dust mites have infested your home due to damp. They love damp environments, and temperatures around 26 degrees Celcius – making many South African homes the perfect environments to infest. Although air condition has been proven to be helpful to control the symptoms, Humidifying Air Cooling as become more popular in South African homes, exacerbating the problems caused by mites.
- Mold: This is one of the most visible symptoms of damp, and one of the most damaging to homes. Mold also has many severe effects on health, including allergic reactions and respiratory illnesses, and leaves a home with a distinct smell that can be hard to get rid of. Mold is hard to get rid of, and can come back if the problem isn’t solved at its root. If you find any indications of mold, it is vital to get in the experts to get rid of the source of the water damage, and make sure it doesn’t come back.
Eliminate and Prevent Damp and Water Damage In Your Home
There are a few ways that you can protect yourself, your family and your home against the dangers of damp.
- Install adequate ventilation in your home. Have exhaust fans in your bathroom, a hood over your stove in the kitchen, and ventilate your laundry dryer to the outside.
- Regularly check for leaks and repair any structural damage – especially to your roof and plumbing, immediately.
- If there is any indication of mold growth, call in the experts to help you get rid of the problem with professional mold removal solutions immediately.
- Hire a professional to make sure that your home is fully proofed against South African weather, preventing future damp and water damage.
Roof Proof Restoration will help you with all your damp proofing needs. We over an exclusive service that you will not have damp proofing issues for a very, very long time. Regular maintenance is also performed to avoid costly repairs. We offer advice as well should you be struggling with damp or water damage to your home.